January is the season of warming food and slow cooking. One of our favourite recipes is tomatoes stuffed with bacon and mushrooms, which is an easy slow cooker recipe.
This can serve four as a starter or you can double the quantity to serve as a lunch or supper dish with warm wholemeal or granary bread.
Read below to make this delicious recipe which will keep you and your family full throughout the winter months.
4 medium tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
55g (2 oz) lean bacon, finely chopped
55g (2oz) mushrooms, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
25g (1 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Good pinch of dried thyme or mint
- Slice the top off each tomato and, with a small spoon, carefully scoop out the pulp.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through
- Stir in the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a minute over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, seasoning and herbs.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes and stand them in the slow cooker.
- Put the lid on and cook on LOW for 2–3 hours.
Whilst you’re waiting for this to cook why don’t you go on a winter walk or run? Light exercise can be used to kick those January blues. All that is left to do when you arrive back home is to tuck in and enjoy. Do let us know what you think!