Crack open the bottle on Day four! Christmas is the season when the amaretto gets cracked open, making these biscuits a firm homemade Christmas must have. Traditionally enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee, they are perfect for any coffee lovers. Place them in a jar decorated with festive ribbon, for a thoughtful Christmas gift.
Makes two homemade Christmas gifts
3 egg whites
220g golden caster sugar
220g ground almonds
1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (Gas Mark 2–3) and line a baking tray with paper.
2. Soften the butter by creaming it in a large bowl.
3. Whisk the egg whites until they become foamy but do not allow them to form soft peaks.
4. Add the sugar and ground almonds to the butter and mix. Add the egg whites and amaretto liqueur and mix well. The mixture should be fairly stiff.
5. Using a teaspoon, place balls of the mixture, no bigger than 2½cm in diameter, onto the baking tray, leaving plenty of room between each one.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Store in an airtight container and they will keep for 4–6 days.
7. For coconut lovers, replace the almonds with dessicated coconut, and the amaretto with coconut liqueur for a Caribbean flavour.
With these light and crispy biscuits there’s no need to think twice about your coffee lovers gift this Christmas. With just the perfect amount of crunch, they will most certainly tempt you into keeping them all for yourself.