So, you’ve decided you’re going to become a blog star, or use blogging to build your business or profile. You might already have a blog or a personal profile that you want to build.
Brilliant! Because if there is one step or activity in this world that enables and empowers you to take control of your life and head in an entirely new direction, or take a small idea and turn it into a giant one, it is creating content and building digital visibility.
So, all you need to do is sit at your computer and start typing, right? Well, while the answer is ‘yes’ on one level, on another it’s not quite so simple. You see, success online does not come from a single dimension or action. It is multifaceted and multilevelled and you need to look at it and understand it from all sorts of different angles.
Before you start, you need to lay down the framework that you’ll need for online success.
My book talks of the million dollar blogs and includes interview with many of the world’s most successful bloggers to hear their stories and reveal how they did it.
However, it also shows how, if you prefer, your blog can stay at whatever level brings you the lifestyle that you dream of – which may be worth a million dollars to you. The key word here is ‘success’ – and success means different things to different people. For some it means cold hard cash – at least $1,000,000 of it – for others it might mean replacing your existing income and enabling you to leave a job you don’t like, or taking your life in a new direction, or taking your business to the next level.
So the question is, what is a million dollars to you? What do you hope your blog will bring you in your life? Where do you want it to take you? Have a think about those questions now, and jot down your answers. The idea is to let your imagination go wild and think big.
Your blog goalplan
Before you start filling out your plan, allow your mind to expand and think about exactly what you want your blog to be and how it will achieve your ambitions. Now, answer the following questions:
- What is the main point of your blog?
- Does your blog have a greater purpose and mission? If so, what is it?
- Who are the individuals you’d like to become the biggest fans of your blog? (If you’re blogging for a cause, this might be the Prime Minister; if you’re blogging to create a media brand, this might be the head of acquisitions at Facebook who might one day buy you out.)
- What does your dream lifestyle look like and how does your blog fit into that?
- How hard would you be willing to work if you knew all of the above was possible?
Now, are you ready to get started?
This extract is taken from The Million Dollar Blog by Natasha Courtenay-Smith.